Weekly Photo Challenge: Depth – chronology of a snowstorm

PHOTO CHRONOLOGY OF A SNOWSTORM

This is the perfect time for a photo challenge of depth  because of winter storm Linus, the 5th largest snowstorm to hit Chicagoland in recorded history. It lasted more than 24 hours, beginning about 9 pm on Saturday night and not ending until the wee hours of Monday morning.  On the news this morning, it was reported that O’Hare (near where I live) received a total of 19.4 inches.

All of the pictures were taken with my Samsung Galaxy 4.

These pictures show DEPTH as the snowfall continued:

Feb. 1, 2:55 pm.  I'm attempting to shovel a path through this heavy, wet snow.  I had to clear it in two layers, which I attempt to show here.
Feb. 1, 2:55 pm. I’m attempting to shovel a path through this heavy, wet snow. I had to clear it in two layers, which I attempt to show here.
Feb. 1, 4:11 pm. Snow accumulates on the trash and recycling bins near the garage.
Feb. 2, 8:03 am. Patio furniture.
Feb. 2, 8:03 am. Patio furniture.
Feb. 2, 9:57 am.  The depth of the pile of snow can be seen after the snow blower went through.
Feb. 2, 9:57 am. The depth of the pile of snow can be seen along the side of the sidewalk after the snow blower went through.
Feb. 2, 9:57 am. Icicles cascade off the end of the porch railing.
Feb. 2, 9:57 am. Icicles cascade off the end of the porch railing.

The five pictures below show the same view from the front of our house as the storm progressed. Notice the little lights along the sidewalk gradually disappear:

Feb. 1, 8:55 a.m.
Feb. 1, 8:55 a.m.  I took this photo shortly after I got up on Sunday morning, coffee cup in hand.
Feb. 1, 2:41 pm
Feb. 1, 2:41 pm. The white car was stuck and a couple of people had to push & dig it out.
Feb. 1, 2:49 pm
Feb. 1, 2:49 pm. This car had been stuck but now continues on down the street.
Feb. 1, 5:01 pm.  Blowing, drifting snow. Diminishing visibility.
Feb. 1, 5:01 pm. Blowing, drifting snow. Diminishing visibility.
Feb. 2, 7:44 am.  It's a sunny day and the storm has stopped. I'm not at work by this time because school was cancelled for today!
Feb. 2, 7:44 am. It’s a sunny day and the storm has stopped. I’m not at work by this time because school was cancelled for today! You can barely see where the sidewalk had been cleared the day before. Only my son’s footprints from the night before mark the path.  No sign of those lights alongside the sidewalk!

Pingback: https://dailypost.wordpress.com/dp_photo_challenge/depth/

4 thoughts on “Weekly Photo Challenge: Depth – chronology of a snowstorm

1. Great goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you’re just too magnificent.

I actually like what you have acquired here, certainly like what you are stating and the way in which you say it.
    You make it entertaining and you still take care of to keep
    it sensible. I can not wait to read much more from you. This is actually a terrific web site.